Thursday, 17 January 2008

Media from Last Night's Games

Andy Watson's report on on last night's Windsor victory over Western plus box score (with play-by-play) As well, Jim Cressman of the London Free Press provides his reports from men's and women's games.

Greg Layson provides his thoughts on Guelph's comeback win at Laurier on his Big Man on Campus blog; also Gryphons over Golden Hawks Greg's article which appears in the Kitchener-Waterloo Record as well as the Guelph Mercury.

Jim Wallace has a piece on last night's Brock victory which includes notes on newest addition 6'8" Mike Muir as well as other info on the Badgers in today's St. Catharines Standard.

The Scrum has a podcast which includes an interview with the Ross and Henry Bekkering of the Calgary Dinos

Neate Sager tracks the CIS Top 10 on the CIS Blog this morning

Chris Cariou of the Winnipeg Free Press discusses Winnipeg's local programs view of the recent decision allowing Canadian schools to apply for NCAA Division 2 status

WLU Assistant Coach Mike Quigley's game report from last night's Guelph/Laurier matchup: GOLDEN HAWKS LET ONE SLIP AWAY The Wilfrid Laurier University Golden Hawks let an opportunity to climb up to .500 and move into the upper echelon of the OUA West slip through their fingers on Wednesday night when they allowed the University of Guelph Gryphons to stage a furious comeback take an 82-72 victory from the Hawks. A great defensive effort for 3 quarters was wasted as the Hawks allowed the Gryphons to outscore them 36-17 in the final quarter to take the game. The win allowed the Gryphons to keep pace at the top of the pack at 8-4 while the Hawks fell to 5-7. The Hawks began the game at full pace scoring on their first 4 possessions to take a quick 8-3 lead. After hitting the next 6 points and going up 14-3, the Hawks let Guelph back into the game and the Gryphons responded with a 13-0 run. An open Hawk 3-pointer gave Laurier a 17-16 lead after 1 quarter. The Gryphons opened the 2nd quarter with 2 quick baskets but the Hawks responded by running their transition well and going on a 9-2 run. Guelph responded and the score stayed close. The Hawks got their fast break going again as the quarter wore down, going on a 9-2 run to take a 41-32 lead at the half. The Hawks shot an excellent 55% from the floor in the first half and held Guelph to 2/10 from beyond the 3-point arc. The 3rd quarter began with Guelph cutting Laurier’s lead to 7 but neither team was able to score for several possessions. The Hawks were then able to score on 4 straight possessions but Guelph matched 2 of them. With about 4 minutes left in the quarter, the Hawks got a pair of timely 3-pointers to take a 15 point lead, 55-40. A defensive lapse as the period ran down gave the Gryphons an open 3 followed by a traditional 3 point play to cut the Hawks’ lead to 9, 55-46 at the end of the 3rd period. Each team only scored 14 points in the quarter. Guelph scored on their opening possession of the 4th quarter and were emotionally back in the game. The Hawks responded with a pair of baskets but the Gryphons long range scorers started to connect. They hit a total of 6 3-pointers in the quarter as well as 5 regular baskets and 6 foul shots for a total of 36 points in 10 minutes. The Hawks hit 17 of their own points but were trading 3's for 2's. After Guelph had tied the game and then taken the lead, the Hawks were able to tie it up again. However, a 14-1 Gryphon run put the game out of reach as the Hawks were forced to foul to try to stop the clock but to no avail. The Gryphons won by a final score of 82-72. Despite shooting 45% from the floor, the Hawks gave up a total of 9 3-pointers, 10 offensive rebounds and turned the ball over 16 times in the loss. The bright spot for the Hawks continues to be the play of outstanding freshman Kale Harrison (wing, Stratford, ON) who had a game high 24 points to lead the team. Veterans Matthew Walker (4th yr, wing, Waterloo, ON) and Trevor Csima (5th yr, post, Oakville, ON) added 13 and 12 points respectively. Andrew Pennycook (2nd yr, post, Toronto, ON) continued to improve his play, anchoring a tough defense and led the team with 12 rebounds (11 defensive) and 8 blocked shots to go along with 7 points. The Gryphons had a very balanced attack with 5 players hitting for double figures in scoring led by Duncan Milne (4th yr, F, Calgary, AB) and Borko Popic (4th yr, G, waterloo, ON) with 18 points each. Nick Pankerichan (4th yr, G, Hamilton, ON) added 17 points while Jay Mott (3rd yr, G, Burlington, ON) had 15. Michael Petrella (1sr yr, G, Brantford, ON) added 12 points. Mott was the top Gryphon rebounder with 6 boards. The Hawks now have to regroup and get ready for the Battle of Waterloo, Part 1, as they will host cross-town rivals, the University of Waterloo Warriors, on Saturday afternoon. Tipoff at the WLU AC will be 3:00 pm.

No comments: