Tuesday, 23 November 2010

Saint Mary's 92, Dalhousie 86

6'1" Joey King Handles Haywood knocked down the go-ahead three with just under one minute to play and the Huskies tightened up defensively down the stretch, finishing the game on a 12-2 run to win their first of the AUS regular season before a large, vocal crowd at the Tower.  Haywood had his difficulties getting free against the solid "d" of 6'2" Stephen Lopez but when it mattered, 6'4" Torey Fassett drove the land, drew help and kicked out to Haywood, who made no mistake. 

The Tigers looked to have the game in hand on the strength of 13 fourth-quarter points from 6'1" Simon Farine, who hit three 3's in the final frame and after 6'9" Joe Schow hit a pair of free throws to give Dalhousie an 84-80 lead with just over 2 minutes to play, it appeared the Tigers may scratch out a road win.  However, Fassett hit a pair of free throws and then 6'3" Demitri Harris gave the Huskies the lead with a clutch 3 from the corner with 1:20 remaining.  But Farine answered with a baseline drive and Dal had it's last lead, setting up Haywood's dramatics.

The Huskies looked like they had taken control of the game with a 14-7 run midway through the third quarter which featured four 3's including back-to-back bombs from 6'7" Simon Marr and Haywood.  When 6'3" Demitri Harris culminated the run with a three of his own, SMU had their largest lead at 60-50.  But 6'1" Peter Leighton came alive after a slow start, hitting a pair of threes in a quarter-ending 10-3 run that cut the gap to just 3 after three and when Lopez hit a pull-up, culminating a 13-4 run, Dal was back to within 1.  The lead changed hands several times until the final 2 minutes.

SMU had taken the lead midway through the second quarter with 3 consecutive threes, part of an 11-2 run that erased a 32-29 Tiger lead.  6'3" Demitri Harris hit back-to-back 3's and then Haywood knocked down a tough transition 3 to give SMU their largest lead at 40-34 and the Huskies went to halftime up 44-39.  The Tigers had finished the first quarter on a 6-1 led by a pair of strong takes to the rim by Farine to take a 24-20 lead.  The Huskies turned the ball over late and continually allowed Dal to get the ball deep into the paint either by the dribble drive or comfortable entry passes to Schow.

...More to come maybe.

No comments: