Wednesday, 6 October 2010

Ottawa 64, Bishop's 62

A pair of teams that are emphasizing stopping teams with athletic, pressure perimeter "d" squared off in Ottawa tonight and the results were predictable, especially for such an early season game as the Gee-Gees pulled out a low-scoring, two-point victory over the Gaiters.  Both teams struggled offensively for the most part as Ottawa went 3-19 from downtown and got a combined 5 for 24 shooting effort from their two main offensive weapons, 6'6" Warren Ward and 6'2" Jacob Gibson-Bascombe.  6'7" Tim Hunter led Bishop's with 15 points while 5'11" guard Orien Green was effective at both ends, finishing with 13 points including a pair of 3's down the stretch including one that brought Bishop's back to even at 52 early in the fourth quarter.  Ottawa had held leads as large as 9 in the first half before hitting halftime up 37-31.  Gaiters coach Rod Gilpin switched to a zone in the third quarter and the defensive ploy worked as Ottawa scored only 9 third quarter points.  But the Gee-Gees defended well and Bishop's never did take a second half lead and only tied it briefly in the fourth.  Thick, hard-nosed 6'4" Jeremy Leonard-Smith was very effective for Bishop's inside with 11 points in 19 minutes.  Ottawa's 6'7" Louis Gauthier was a very efficient 5-9 from the field and finished with 15 points and 6 boards as the Gaiters did a very good job of limiting his touches inside.  Ward finished with 13 points, 11 rebounds (including a couple of big boards down the stretch), 5 assists and 5 steals in 35 minutes.  Freshman Johnny Berhane came off the bench to score 12 for Ottawa while backup point Luke Minani had 8 points, all in the first half.  Gibson-Bascombe finished 2 for 9 from the floor.

The Gaiters meet Carleton at the Raven's Nest tomorrow night and then move on to Kingston to face Queen's on Friday while the Gee-Gees prepare to host the Jack Donohue Memorial tournament next weekend.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

For some reason both sides of the court were curtained off, leaving virtually no space for spectators to watch the game.
On one side were the players benches, the other had a single row of chairs the length of the floor...that was it.
Perhaps a 100 people got to sit, while others had to stand and watch behind them.
By the time I got there, whatever space courtside was taken, so I watched the first half upstairs through a window.
While the view of the game was interesting (standing over the rim provides a unique perspective of the game) I wasn't keen on standing for two hours, so I left at halftime.
Why a university would schedule a game and then have practically no place to watch it is beyond me.
At the very least, Ottawa U could have given a "limited seats" heads up on its web site.
I rode a bus through heavy rain just to get there...had I known, I wouldn't have bothered.