Saturday, 22 January 2011

OUA West Today

Laurier 75, Western 67  The Hawks almost blew a 16 point lead, twice holding off Mustang fourth-quarter runs that got it back to a one possession game and survived a sterling 29 point effort from 6'6" Andrew Wedemire to maintain their push toward second place.  Laurier grabbed their largest lead late in the third quarter however the Mustangs made a big 11-2 run at the start of the fourth quarter aided by a pair of scores from 5'11" Ryan Barbeau and 4 points from Wedemire to bring the deficit back to within 4 at 60-56 with 4 minutes remaining.  But 6'5" Kale Harrison (20 points, 6 rebounds, 5 assists) and 6'6" Maxwell Allin (14 points, 7 rebounds, 9 assists) keyed a run of their own to reestablish a 10 point lead.  Still, the 'Stangs got it back to 3 with 27 seconds left, using a 7-0 run that included 5 more points from Wedemire before Laurier clinched it on the line.

The Hawks had pulled into a first quarter double digit lead off a 14-4 run late in the frame led by 5 points each from Allin and 6'3" Jamar Forde, each of who hit a three during the run. Forde gives the explosive Golden Hawks another dimension in the lineup with his blend of athleticism and energy and has been seeing more meaningful time in Coach Peter Campbell's lineup. Both teams defended the ball and the paint very well in the second quarter with Wedemire doing his best to keep the 'Stangs in the game with most of his 10 first-half points in the quarter but Laurier still led by 9 at 39-30.

Laurier then had a 7-2 run off start of second half, primarily from dominating the "o" glass however both team's defenses began to dominate, creating turnovers with generally questionable shot selection and decision making resulting in a sluggish quarter although the Hawks did lead by 13 entering the fourth.
Western welcomed 6'7" Adam Jespersen back into the lineup after he missed time with a wrist injury but are still without 6'6" veteran Garrett Olexiuk.

Guelph 87, Waterloo 80   The scrappy Gryphs put themselves back in the playoff hunt with a huge road win despite giving up a third quarter lead and a subsequent furious Waterloo comeback attempt.  But led by 5'11" Mike Petrella, who had 32 points this afternoon after putting up 37 on the Warriors in the previous meeting, and several others who made big shots at key times, the Gryphs had a huge fourth quarter run to build leads as large as 10 and then were solid at the free throw line to sweep the season series over the Warriors.  The young Gryphs did allow Waterloo to get it back to 4 and the ball with 13 seconds left after a series of turnovers and poor decisions fouling but a Warrior turnover on the in-bounds play sealed the Warriors fate.

With Guelph up 7 early in the third quarter on a bucket by 6'2" Dan McCarthy, the listless Warriors woke up, using a 12-0 run led by 6'3" Tim Rossy, who had 16 of his 24 points after the break, to grab a 52-47 lead and it appeared Guelph would wilt.  But Guelph was equal to it, with a 25-12 run to establish their largest lead at 10 and with a plethora of freshmen and sophomores on the floor, held on.

A 10-2 Gryphons run midway through the second quarter, led by the dynamic Petrella, gave the Gryphs a 3 point lead which they maintained into halftime.  Warriors were plagued by foul trouble to both starting bigs as 6'6" Alan Goodhoofd and 6'7" Brendan Smith both went to the bench with a pair of fouls.  Both ended up fouling out as did Guelph's leader offensively 6'2" Dan McCarthy.  6'3" Cam McIntyre added 18 for the Warriors, who drop to 6-8 while the Gryphs push up to 5-9 knowing they own the season series against Waterloo.  Guelph is now just one game behind Waterloo and Western with 6-7 Brock playing Windsor today.

No comments: