Saturday, 24 November 2007

More Reports from Last Night

Wayne Kondro's article in this morning's Ottawa Citizen on Windsor/Ottawa Undefeated Gee-Gees show they're for real

The Charlatan provides a summary of the early part of the Carleton Ravens season Raven Depth dispatches opponents Another article from the Charlatan No students means no show

Bernie Puchalski from St. Catharines Standard has a piece on Brock's 6'7" Dusty Bianchin and reviews last night's Badgers victory over Ryerson Lighter Bianchin still tough for Badgers

Ned Bakavac from the Guelph Tribune on the Gryphs High hopes for Gryphs

More articles from last night:

CALGARY – The Calgary Dinos blew open a tight game midway through the third quarter to defeat the No. 5 Alberta Golden Bears 95-74 Friday night in front of 1036 fans in the Jack Simpson Gym. The win moves Calgary (6-1) into sole possession of first place in the Canada West Central Division, pending the rubber match Saturday night. “It’s a huge win and a convincing win, which is good, and it’s something we can build on,” said Dinos coach Dan Vanhooren. “The team is showing signs of how capable they are and what we have here, and I think if we can just get more consistent from start to finish and cut our turnovers down, we’re going to be in great shape.” Calgary came out of the gates well, opening up a 23-16 first quarter lead – a lead the Bears took back late in the second quarter to take a 45-43 lead into halftime. The third quarter opened with the teams exchanging points and Alberta maintaining a three-point cushion until Robbie Sihota (3rd, Calgary) drew a foul on a good basket and converted the three point play, giving the Dinos back the lead at 57-55. Two free throws by Justin VanLoo (2nd, Surrey, B.C.) tied it up at 61 apiece, but Calgary’s Henry Bekkering (4th, Taber, Alta.) hit both free throws after a foul to put the Dinos up to stay at 63-61. Four more free throws from Jeff Price (3rd, Calgary) made it 67-61 Calgary after 30 minutes. Calgary continued to pull away in the fourth quarter, outscoring the Bears 28-13 in the final frame to walk away with a convincing 95-74 victory. Free throw shooting was the story of the game in the second half. Both teams had multiple opportunities – Calgary shot 28 from the stripe while Alberta took 24 – but only the Dinos took full advantage. Calgary shot a phenomenal 92.9 per cent (26 of 28) from the line in the final 20 minutes, while the Bears managed to hit only eight of their 24 opportunities (33.3 per cent). Bekkering’s 28 points was the game high, and he added nine rebounds in 32 minutes on the floor. Price was a perfect 12-for-12 from the line in the game, scoring 22, while Sihota added 16 points to go with 10 rebounds for the double-double. Rookie Tyler Fidler (Calgary) scored 14. Calgary managed to keep Bears star Alex Steele (5th, Edmonton) under 30 points, but he still managed to pour in 25. Scott Leigh (2nd, North Vancouver) scored a dozen in a losing cause for the Golden Bears. The Dinos and Bears tip off again Saturday night at 8 p.m. MST in the rubber match. Ben Matchett; Sports Information Director; University of Calgary Dinos


The Wilfrid Laurier Golden Hawks dropped to 0-5 in OUA play (3-9 overall) and lost their 8th straight game when they lost to the Queen’s University Golden Gaels 65-53 on Friday night at the WLU AC. The Hawks were looking forward to their first league game of the season at home and hoping to turn the young season around but were outplayed by the ever improving Golden Gaels in almost every aspect of the game.

The Hawks were in the game for the 1st quarter after withstanding a 9-3 Gaels run to open the game. After shaking off their jitters the Hawks managed to claw their way back and only trailed by 2, 14-12, after the first 10 minute period.

The 2nd quarter was a different matter however. After their first 2 open 3's rattled in and out, the Hawks seemed to lose confidence in their ability to put the ball in the basket. This led to a 13-2 Queen’s run to open up a nice lead which they never relinquished. The Hawks made a small 5-0 run of their own but ended up trailing 32-20 at half time. Shooting 1/15 from beyond the 3 point arc and 6/32 (18.8%) overall led to the fifth low scoring 1st half in a row for the Hawks. Getting outrebounded again didn’t help either.

The goal for the Golden Hawks in the 3rd quarter was to try to win the quarter by competing harder than Queen’s minute by minute. They were able to match the Gaels’ intensity through most of the quarter and, in fact, only lost by 1 point, 20-19. However, the deficit created in the first half still remained.

By the 4th quarter the Hawks seemed to be a beaten club hoping that the final buzzer would hurry up. In fact, it took them over 4 minutes before they could register any points on the board. By this time Queen’s was ahead 60-39. A final 14-5 Hawk run when the game was out of reach made the final score Queen’s 65 Laurier 53. The Golden Gaels move above .500 at 3-2 while the Hawks are still looking for their first league win of 2007-08.

The Golden Hawks only managed to have 1 player score in double figures as they were led by rookie wing Dominique Brown (Woodbridge, ON) who finished with 11 points. His teammate on the other side of the court rookie wing Kale Harrison (Stratford, ON) led the Hawks with 5 rebounds.

The Golden Gaels were led in scoring by Mitchel Leger (2nd yr., F, Kingston, ON) with 16 points while Simon Mitchell (4th yr., G, Navan, ON) ended up with a double-double - 14 points and 11 rebounds.

The Golden Hawks will now regroup and try to end their winless skid when they take on RMC at 8:oo Saturday night at the WLU AC.

Gryphons Survive Varsity Blue Scare to Remain Undefeated, 79-75 from Guelph Sports Information

Guelph, Ont - The Guelph Gryphons men's basketball team (5-0) drained 4-free throws with ten seconds remaining in overtime to defeat the Toronto Varsity Blues (4-1) 79-75 on Friday night in Guelph, Ont.

The Gryphons let a 12-point third quarter lead slip away when the Varsity Blues went on a 13-0 run in the opening four minutes of the fourth to take a
59-57 lead. The last six minutes of the quarter was a sea-saw battle as the teams traded baskets until the final buzzer.

With 18-seconds remaining it looked as if Toronto would get the win when Mike DiGiorgio drained a three-pointer to put the Varsity Blues up 69-66.
However, the Gryphons were not ready to concede the game. With eleven seconds left in the fourth Borko Popic responded with his own three-pointer, sending the game into overtime tied 69 all.

Overtime opened with the teams trading baskets. Tied at 75 all with 1:45 left on the clock Guelph's Duncan Milne sparked the Gryphons with a blocked shot, setting up a Toronto foul that sent Nick Pankerichan to the line.
Pankerichan drained both free-throws giving the Gryphons the 77-75 edge.
Jonathan Moscatelli then sealed the victory for Guelph after he was fouled and made both shots. Final score was 79-75.

Pankerichan finished with a game high 24 points and seven rebounds. Three other Gryphons scored double digits as Duncan Milne scored 18 and a team high eight rebounds. Meanwhile, Moscatelli and Popic chipped in with 16-points apiece.

Paul Sergautis and Mike DiGiorgio picked up 17 points in the loss, Sergautis also corralled a game high 13 rebounds.

The Gryphons will look to continue their undefeated record tomorrow night in Guelph when they host the Ryerson Rams. Tip-off is set for 8:00 p.m.

No comments: