Saturday, 24 February 2007

Saturday's CIS Results

For previews of today's and tonight's games click here

York 57 at Carleton 68 Third-year guard Stu Turnbull (pictured) led the way with 19 points, 6 rebounds and numerous feeds to wide open teammates (credited for 5 assists - seemed like more), running the offense effectively, but more importantly, basically shutting down 6'8" Dan Eves as the Ravens advanced to the OUA East final that they will host next weekend against Ottawa. Turnbull continually got himself in the lane and either finished or found others, primarily 6'3" Jean-Emmanuel Jean-Marie (18 points, 13 rebounds) as the Ravens grabbed an 8 point lead by halftime. Jean-Marie hit several soft corner jumpers and led a solid Raven effort on the glass as the smaller Carleton side outrebounded York 44-26. The Lions got a tremendous effort from 6'2" Amde Evans (14 points on 6-9 shooting with 5 boards), who made several tough shots off the dribble, got to the rim a few times and led a brief York comeback in the second half that got the game back to 3 with about 15 minutes remaining but then disappeared from York's offence. The Ravens answered the run as Turnbull and 6'2" Osvaldo Jeanty (10 points), scoreless in the first 25 minutes of the game, got going as Jeanty had 5 consecutive points and Carleton quickly restored their double digit lead and built it to as much as 19 with under 10 minutes to play. Carleton continually pushed the tempo whenever possible and appeared to wear down the bigger, slower Lions who basically ran out of gas once they got the game back early in the second half. Eves, playing in the final game of his career, finished with 17 points but the majority were late in the game once the issue had been decided while fellow fifth-year graduating senior 6'10" Jordan Foebel was generally winded and ineffective in this up-tempo game and left several easy shots inside short while missing his only 2 free throws. Tut Ruach finished with 14 points but the Ravens were able to limit his open looks. The Ravens won in characteristic fashion, defending, rebounding and exploiting mismatches and opponent's weaknesses. Game 3 of the Canal War between the Ravens and Ottawa goes next Saturday, March 3rd at 8 PM with the winner gaining the OUA East's automatic bid to Halifax and the CIS Nationals.

Toronto 68 at Ottawa 69 Alex McLeod hit a pair of free throws with 54.9 seconds remaining and sophomore Willy Manigat picked up a foul-laden and hobbled Josh Gibson-Bascombe with 18 points including 3-5 3's to lift the Gee-Gees a dramatic win over the Blues in a game that had 15 or more lead changes. Curtis Shakespeare (pictured) added 13 points and 8 rebounds on 5-7 shooting for Ottawa, which returns to the OUA East championship game for the second time in 3 years. The Blues had a chance to retake the lead with 25 seconds remaining but Mike Williams (co-game-high 18 points) missed a 15 foot turnaround and Jermaine Campbell grabbed the board. With a chance to push the lead to 3, Campbell missed the front end of the bonus but Ottawa held defensively, forcing a difficult 3 from Mike DeGiorgio (10 points, 7 rebounds, 4 assists 2-4 3's) at the buzzer which was well off the mark, enabling Ottawa to move into the OUA East final next week at Carleton. The Gee-Gees extended a one point halftime lead to 9 at 61-52 with 6:17 remaining highlighted by a Donnie Gibson 3 and a strong take to the rim by Dax Dessureault. But the Blues would not quit as Mo Safarzadeh (11 points including 3 3's) knocked his third 3 of the half after a conventional 3 point play by Ben Katz (14 points) and instantly the Blues were back to within 3 at 61-58. There were 3 more lead changes as DeGiorgio hit a runner to put Toronto up 63-62, McLeod answered with a scoop but Katz got to the rim again and U of T led 65-64. 6'4" Gibson-Bascombe (10 points 2-5 3's), saddled on the bench with 2 early fouls and playing on a severely sprained ankle, then knocked down a 3 and Ottawa regained a two point lead that got the crowd in the game. But Dwayne Grant (10 points, 2-2 3's) answered with a 3 of his own quickly to give Toronto the lead back at 68-67 and after Campbell missed an open 3 with 1:50 remaining, things looked good for the Blues. But they would not score again. Ottawa held and then McLeod (9 points - all in the second half) got to the rim and was fouled, nailing both free throws for what was the final margin of victory. Toronto had leads as large as 5 in the first half and with Gibson-Bascombe limited to 8 minutes, the Blues appeared to have the momentum. But Manigat stepped up with 11 first-half points to give the Gee-Gees a narrow one-point lead at the break. Ottawa survived a 13-23 (56%) effort from the foul line and 8 of 15 shooting from 3 by the Blues - six of which came in the second half - for the dramatic win. The winner of next week's OUA East championship at Carleton will receive an automatic bid to the CIS Nationals in Halifax while the loser awaits word on the 8th and final spot to be decided by a wild card vote.

Saskatchewan 54 at Alberta 76 - Game 2 Best-of-3 Central division final; Series Tied at 1 game apiece Bouncing back from a poor shooting effort in Game One, the Bears rebounded to their #1 CIS fg% form shooting 50% including 6-13 from 3 and held off an early second half Saskatchewan comeback attempt to force a third and deciding game in the Central division series. Alberta again did a stellar defensive job led by 6'4" Tyson Jones who held Friday night's hero Rejean Chabot to only 3-15 shooting and 10 points. When 6'2" Alex Steele knocked down an NBA 3 at the first half buzzer, the Bears led 35-21 at the intermission. The Huskies stormed out of the gate in the second half, bringing the game back to within 5 with 13 minutes remaining led by 6'8" Andrew Spagrud (23 points, 10 rebounds). But C.G. Morrison, the leading 3 point shooter in the CIS during the regular season, drilled a 3 and then Steele followed with another 3 to build Alberta's lead back up to double digits and Saskatchewan rarely threatened thereafter. Alberta held the Huskies to 33% shooting for the game. The third and deciding game goes Sunday at 3 PM local time.

Regina 79 at Brandon 93 - Bobcats sweep Best-of-3 Great Plains division final 2-0 Before a packed house, 6'7" Adam Hartman delivered 19 points and 4 rebounds, while 6'7" Stevens Marcelin picked up his second double-double of the weekend, notching 13 points and 13 boards to allow the Brandon to host the Canada West Final Four next weekend. Another post, Yuri Whyms and point guard Yul Michel each scored 12 points while Friday's hero Chad Jacobson added 11. Regina’s Drew Kuzminski led all scorers in his final CIS game, dropping 33 points while picking up 11 rebounds. Jamal Williams and Jeffrey Lukomski added 16 and 12 points respectively. The Bobcats shot 56% (32-57) from the field, 33% (2-6) from three point range, and 68% (27-40) from the free throw line. The Cougars made 42% (25-60) of their field goals, 31% (5-16) of their three’s, and 60% (24-40) of their free throw’s. Brandon out-rebounded Regina 36-30.

Bishop's (4-12) 74 at UQAM (5-11) 81 The Citadins claim the fourth and final playoff spot in the "Q" and the right to visit Concordia next week. My thanks to Alex T. from the UQAM broadcast team for the following game recap: The Citadins took an early lead and pretty much never looked back en route to a 81-74 victory in front of a record crowd of 725. The Citadins had a little trouble at the beginning of the game at the free throw line, missing their first 6. Still, it was a pretty tight first half. The Citadins came out strong in the second, building a 13 point lead, only to let it go with 8 minutes to go. UQAM then had some foul problems(Renaldo Maignan, Marc-Olivier Beauchamp had to leave the game with 5 fouls with something like 5-6 minutes to go), but 3 Gaiters also left the game with 5 fouls (Jason Thorne, Doug Mccooeye, Hermon Tesfaghebriel). The Citadins ran away with the game with 2 minutes to go, holding on to a 7-8 point lead. UQAM will now meet Concordia in the semis, a team they did beat this season and a team they beat last year in the semis.... Thanks Again AlexT !!!

OUA WEST Quarter-Finals
#6W Laurier 61 at #3W McMaster 85 HALFTIME 6'8" Adam Steiner (pictured) shook off a tough first half with 7 points during a game-deciding 18-1 run over a 5 1/2 minute span down the stretch as the Marauders moved on to a OUA West semi-final on Wednesday at Brock. After Laurier's fine 6'2" guard Jesse Macdonald (17 points) knocked down a 3 to bring the Hawks back to within 5 with 10:45 remaining, Steiner (12 points - 10 in the second half, 10 rebounds) scored the next 5 points and Martin Ajayi (26 points, 8 rebounds, 7 assists) contributed some strong defense, transition looks and 3 points of his own as Mac completely took the game over. The Hawks hurt themselves with 7-17 shooting from the foul line and under 35% shooting from the floor, missing several easy layups in the first half when they took the play to Mac and had a chance to grab a large lead. Laurier's All-Star forward Matt Walker, averaging about 16 ppg during the regular season, had a terrible afternoon going only 1-9 from the floor for 2 points. In the first half, the Hawks got their transition game going early and led 12-7 after the first seven minutes after freshman Justin Golob's 3. Laurier kept their lead on the strong inside work of 6'7" Trevor Csima (10 first-half points on 5-5 shooting), who continually got free inside 5 feet off high/lows and with early offense. Mac stayed in the game on strong work on the "o" glass by Toms Lokmanis, finally taking a 22-20 lead with 7 minutes left in the half on a knifing move to the rim by Martin Ajayi (16 first-half points). The Hawks had their troubles knocking shots down so McMaster went to a 2/3 zone and promptly went on a run culminating in Lokmanis turnaround in the post to give Mac their largest lead at 31-27. With just over 1 minute to play, Laurier's fifth-year point guard Omar Miles, playing with a severly bruised heel, picked up his third foul promptly Golden Hawks coach Peter Campbell to go to a matchup zone but 6'4" John Obrovac (8 points) hit his second 3 of the half to give Mac a 36-31 lead going into the intermission. Mac's Adam Steiner picked up a couple of quick fouls and finished the half with only 2 while Laurier's 6'5" conference all-star Matt Walker went only 1-7 from the floor. The Hawks missed a number of layups during the half and Mac was generally fortunate to lead by 5 at the break. The Marauders look to complete a three game sweep on Wednesday in St. Catharines, facing their natural rivals Brock Badgers for the right to play for the OUA West championship. LIVE STATS! Box Score

#5W Western 61 at #4W Guelph 69 Outscoring the visiting Mustangs by 22 points in the last 9 minutes, Guelph got a solid team defensive effort and great finishes from 6'4" Nick Pankerichan (all 10 of his points in the second half), 6'7" Duncan Milne (16 points, 5 rebounds including 3 dunks) and league All-Star Aron Bariagbre (13 of his team-high 18 points in the second half) to advance to the OUA West semi-final this coming Wednesday at Windsor. Down 14 with 9 minutes remaining, Guelph went to 4 guard lineup plus Milne and forced the Mustangs into perimeter shots as Western did not get the ball inside with any consistency down the stretch. It didn't help the 'Stangs cause that 6'6" Brad Smith was in foul trouble all day before finally leaving with his 5th with about 6 minutes remaining. As well, 6'3" OUA West Rookie-of-the-Year candidate Andrew Wedemire battled fouls and left the game after banging heads with Bariagbre. Mustangs guard combination of 6'2" Matt Curtis and 6'1" Jason Milliquet each had 14 for Western, who had 26 fouls whistled against them as opposed to 19 against Guelph. Western also hurt themselves by going only 7 of 15 from the free throw line and shot only 38.3% despite grabbing 15 offensive rebounds. The Gryphs will look to make up for one of their poorer efforts of the season last time they visited Windsor this coming Wednesday.

AUS A nice story on UPEI's three graduating seniors Doug McKinney, Sherone Edwards and Peter Stay in advance of Sunday's game when the group will be honoured on Senior's Day as the Guardian reports Three Panthers get to end their careers together

UNB (5-13, 10 pts.) at Saint Mary's (9-9, 24 pts) St. Mary's clinches 5th spot with a 13 point win against UNB. Mark McLaughlin had 25 points, 7 rebounds and 7 assists for the Huskies while Oliver Glencross led all scorers for UNB with 26.
Memorial (5-13, 10 pts) at St.FX (11-6, 32 pts) 4 POINTS PPD. UNTIL MONDAY AT 1 PM ATLANTIC
Cape Breton (15-3, 40 pts) 84 at Dalhousie (8-11, 18 pts) 63 4 POINTS The Capers put together a 33-11 run to bridge the first and second half and clinched the AUS regular season crown by winning at Dalplex. Cape Breton finished the first half on a 16-7 run to lead by 9 and then jumped out to a 17-4 run in the first 4 1/2 minutes of the second half as Eric Breland had 22 points. The Capers officially end St. FX's 9 year run as AUS regular season champions. Corey Hargrove added 13 and Dan White had 11 for Cape Breton. Monte Francois led Dal with 17.

No comments: